Data Governance Lead
Business Context and Main Purpose of the Job
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Over half (57%) of the company’s footprint is in developing and emerging markets. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Sun, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Axe. Our The Unilever Sustainable Living Plan is our blueprint for achieving our vision to double the size of the business, whilst reducing our environmental footprint and increasing our positive social impact.
The Plan sets stretching targets to achieve by 2020 and includes how we source raw materials and how consumers use our brands. The scale of our ambition means that we are finding new ways to partner with others in business, government and society.
Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace’.
Digital Marketing and Commerce are a clear growth driver for Unilever
The consumer packed industry (CPG) is facing an enormous digital growth opportunity. The prominence shift from brick & mortar and related shelf-space towards ecommerce and related new business models, is developing rapidly. Today consumers subscribe on ‘convenience boxes’ delivered straight to their home, whereas the rise of disruptive startups offering these services, are altering the existing landscape. The development of new digital capabilities and skills in order to stay competitive in this space are pivotal for Unilever to leverage this digital trend.
- >400 brands and two billion people use our brands on any given day
- Global manufacturing, operational and brand marketing infrastructure supporting €53bn turnover and c170K employees.
- Diverse business models and brand portfolio, from Dove, Domestos to Dermalogica.
- The ambition for the team to form the backbone of new e-business model across the Europe
As part of our ongoing digital ambition we see the need for a Data Governance Lead. The Data Governance works closely together with the Digital Hub NL team and the local DPA.
When you are passionate about privacy and consumers, have a strong background in digital marketing and if you help in creating value for Unilever by targeting the right consumer at the right time with the right message across our web and media assets while taking care of their privacy. This might be the perfect role for you.
JOB PURPOSE / ROLE DESCRIPTION
You are the champion when it comes data governance related questions within the data driven marketing field. Together with the DPA you establish a clear view on how privacy is applied and secured throughout our consumer journeys by building bridges between our Legal, IT, Marketing and the Central Data team. You act as a business partner to the Marketing and Sales departments, ensuring that the those departments can optimally collect and use rich data for marketing and sales purposes in a compliant manner. Furthermore the Data Governance Lead monitors for example data quality, retention, minimization and third party contracts, to assure compliance with our internal standards and applicable legislation.
WHAT WILL YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES BE?
- Are responsible for establishing a world-class data governance eco-stem founded on principles of consumer trust, transparency and compliance with the law.
- Work with legal and privacy teams to understand local regulation and guiding brands on the key use of data and guidelines.
- Are a key member of the Digital Hub, working to drive the local data strategy
In your day-to-day work this means you work with a diverse set of global teams to create repeatable processes and tools which can be leveraged by markets. You act as the champion for driving global capabilities and tools and as a business partner for the local Dutch marketing and sales functions in all data initiatives that involve personal data. You analyse and evaluate (new) data activities to optimize data use from a privacy perspective and adapt global data governance standards to meet local market requirements/ applicable Dutch legislation (such as the GDPR and the Dutch Telecommunication Act). You have a clear view of data ownership in the market, support the introduction of new processes, ways of working, and technologies and monitor/advises on data quality, data retention and data minimization and evaluates periodically if those principles are being applied correctly. You monitor compliancy on data contracts by third parties and provide guidance and training to improve capabilities for collecting and using both B2B as B2C data, and together with the DPA, on key privacy and data governance issues impacting marketing and sales. As Data Governance lead you conduct data governance maturity assessments regularly, drive your market to meet or maintain a higher level of maturity and produces reports for global/local leaders. Finally you have a seat in the Digital Steerco.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD HAVE
- You are an excellent communicator with senior stakeholders, peers and reports (conversational and presentational)
- You have a minimum 2-3 years relevant experience in online marketing, data management and associated technologies
- Transformer with a build-measure-learn mindset who has the energy to take the organization with him on all levels.
Therefore an strong candidate has a combination of the below traits:
- Education HBO / University
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate through a virtual organisation.
- Transformer with a build-measure-learn mindset who has the energy to take the organization with him/her on all levels
- Good understanding of data protection legislation such as the GDPR, the e-Privacy Directive and the Dutch Telecommunication Act
- Working knowledge of data security and its application within a marketing business
- Working experience in digital marketing and sales functions
- Understanding of personal data and its use in data driven marketing, and the technologies which underpin it
- Understanding of Adobe Technology stack
- Understanding of the end to end Consumer Data Lifecycle: data collection, profiling, cloud storage, CRM platforms, and architecture.
- Technical understanding of digital platforms (i.e. web, social, mobile)
- Fluent in Dutch and English, both verbally and in writing