Packaging Project Lead
The European Skin Care Cluster Design Team is looking for an exceptional packaging technician to join our product development team to contribute to the success of our global and local brands.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Be an integral part of a large global organisation, while linking local country requirements to a global strategy.
- Problem solve and trouble shoot packaging conundrums.
- Closely collaborate with the packaging team, while being an integral part of a cross functional team, partnering with supply chain, factories, marketing, and procurement.
Joining our Skin Care EU team means working within a dedicated and ambitious team on the development and upkeep of high impact Global and local specialist brands. We offer an agile and open-minded environment with strong, proactive, passionate thinkers who are constantly seeking to improve purpose in terms of brand, people, sustainability, technology & business growth.
As a member of the Packaging team, you will have the chance to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams, and external partners to create products consumers want and love.
- You are a natural problem solver: the ability and passion to problem solve is essential!
- You’re a great translator: Must be able to translate the consumer expectations into packaging that continue to delight and bring growth to the company
- You love to win, and have fun doing it: A passion for success is a must. Detail orientated and able to manage multiple and/or complex projects
- You have a special ability to connect people: you can connect people from different functions and have a great ability to talk about technical challenges in an easy engaging way.
1) Packaging workstream leader on innovation projects, leading project through full end to end processes.
2) Lead the primary and secondary packaging developed for the projects ensuring robust, sustainable, and cost-effective solutions are selected.
3) Lead the development and design of pallet layouts and ensure rigorous assessments are carried out to ensure they meet the supply chain needs.
4) Responsible for all lab testing on the projects including Ecommerce.
5) This role will work closely with other functions, such as procurement and supply chain, to create, develop and deliver product solutions.
6) Work and communicate effectively with different departments and functions to deliver. against the project network timings and identify and manage risks.
7) Write packaging specifications ensuring they meet required standards.
Ask yourself “Am I a self-starter with ability to think on my feet, flexibility to adapt to different scenarios, and who wants to deliver great products to the market?”
• Relevant experience in packaging development preferably on flexible, rigid and corrugate packaging.
• Experienced in distribution designs and use of CAPE
• Experienced in design and managing testing plans, lab testing, and report writing.
• Skilled and comfortable working in a digital environment
• A creative, logical, and analytical mind to generate innovative design solutions to technical design problems.
• Ability to respond quickly to change in priorities
• You will need to be enthusiastic and self-motivated with good verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate complex engineering and design principles to people at all levels of the business, across different functions.
Unilever Job Profile
Technical Project Management, Supplier Engagement.
Not doing any design work, more technical project development supported by analytical testing.
80% project and supplier management. Qualification of Suppliers
Packaging Qualification – Less lab based, 1 day a week in lab.
Working on baby wipes to make them biodegradable.
Consider candidates from quality/manufacturing, but they need to have some innovation Project Management experience.
Project Management is key – talk to Marketing, Printers, Suppliers and pull it all together.
Direct packaging or closely related, e.g. background from flexible plastics (Shrink films, lithography, printing) would be considered.
Engineering packaging people would be considered also.
Experience is more important than qualification. Technical based degree is advantageous (Engineering, Materials Science, Science) lends itself to analytical thinking.
Not managing any team members.
Someone that can converse with brand/supply chain, third party teams. Project Management experience is key.
Need to be used to multitasking. Someone technically minded will pick up packaging. Will have support for specification systems.
They need to oversee the project and understand the FMCG environment.
Candidates who have an appreciation of the different elements of a project and how you go from A to B and manage different elements at different times.
Not necessarily looking for a wealth of experience in Project Management. Worked in an FMCG company or similar and knows how to work a project.
Flexible on packaging and strip this back.
Hiring the person and their attitude rather than their technical knowledge. There is a team to fully support on technical questions on packaging.
Working with IT systems – artwork and IT software appreciation.
People who have worked in an R&D environment would work well in this role.